You might have noticed that I have gone a little Torte mad recently. What I have discovered is that a crunchy layer is an absolute must for Mousse Tortes and these crispy flakes along with Praline are a must have ingredient. Best of all they can be made in advance and stored away.
You can buy Paillette Feuilletine, but it doesn’t come cheap and usually comes in catering industry kg quantities. I was therefore delighted when I found that my latest German baking blog discovery VanilleTanz (Dance with Vanilla) has a recipe. They are easy to make, but the key to success is to spread the mixture as thinly as you possible can before baking or else you risk over-baking the flakes.
- 50g softened unsalted butter
- 50g icing sugar
- 50g egg whites (about 2 eggs) at room temperatire
- 50g plain flour
- Preheat your oven to 170C / 150C fan
- Cover a baking sheet with baking parchment
- Cream the butter and icing sugar together
- Whisk in the eg white
- Stir in the flour
- Spread the mixture very thinly over the baking parchment
- Bake in the oven for 8-15 minutes until golden brown
- Allow to cool
- Break up into small flakes
- Store in an airtight container until needed